Sunday, April 15, 2007

TPC: Martin wins; poetic signoff
















by Jill Officer

As much as the TCN editor wanted me to wrap up the weekend – and the season – after the men’s final of the Tylenol Players’ Championship, I messed up a bit.

I slept through the game. The entire game.

My boyfriend woke me up twice, but apparently I wasn’t ready to open up my eyes. I was so tired. When I did finally crack open some slits, I saw Sidney Crosby on TV as the Canadian national anthem was being sung... for the Ottawa Senators and the Pittsburgh Penguins playoff
game. Oops. Sorry gk.

I did check out the line score and I also asked my boyfriend if there was anything exciting about the game. I see there was a four-ender in the men’s finale as well. It was a little earlier in the game than the one we gave up on Saturday night, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be for Team Kevin Koe to rally back against Team Kevin Martin. And so Martin and his squad win yet
another Slam event on the Asham WCT. Congratulations to Kevin, John, Mark and Ben (photo by CurlingZone).

And so the season ends. Aside from the Curl For a Cure Celebrity Charity bonspiel to take place this coming weekend in Calgary, followed by Sudbury’s famed Heart to Heart, the season is officially over. Anyone else ready for the break? I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ll be sitting on the beach in Mexico a week from now, my mind far, far away from the ice or anything to do with our sport.

But that will only last for so long, as we’ll starting planning our bonspiel season, our off season training, and much, much more. Hardly a break when you curl at an elite level, it seems. I’m sure we’re not the only ones that will be planning and such, but it’s definitely important to get away from the game for a while, both physically and mentally.

Before you know it, we’ll be back on the ice... possibly as early as mid-August! That’s only four months away! Jebus!

Until then, here’s a little poem.

The weather is just starting to turn nice and no one wants to think about the ice;

We’ve done our duty for the season, but to be back on the ice now, there’d better be a good reason.

From controversy, to defeat and success, this season is over and I think I’m a mess!

I'm sure I’ll live, although I have nothing left to give.

We’ll see you all in the fall, but until then, farewell, ya’ll.

Have a great summer...

1 comment:

afarnel said...

Congradulations on your win. Good job.